Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Unsanctioned Draft


-Greg

Last night, nine of us got together at Dave's for a little non-shop draft. I got to pick our packs, since I was the new guy, and I decided to go all Conflux. There was some grumbling, of course, until people started to see the cards we were pulling. Two Knights of the Reliquary, a Banefire, Mirror Sigiled Sergeant, Nyxathid, Paths to Exile, Volcanic Fallouts, and TWO, count 'em, TWO Noble Heirarchs. There was enough on the board that almost everyone got a first pick card at the end of the night.

teh draftorz

First pack, I cracked a Path to Exile, and got a warm and fuzzy feeling about where the night was headed. Red and white removal is pouring into my hand, as well as the unstoppable Dragonsoul Knight, this beautiful bastard, and Captain Vigilance. While I was busy scanning for 5 or greaters, I managed to pull a full set of Exploding Borders, a Volcanic Fallout, a Fiery Fall, and three Sylvan Bounties for the landcycling. Green ended up being the perfect splash, too, because that Outlander saved me more than a few times.

Round 1
First pairing was with Tom, who'd drafted mostly blue. Game one ended quickly, as I couldn't get anything good on the board, and he beat me mercilessly with Brackwater unearth and birds. Game 2 was totally opposite, with me drawing answers and threats while he sat at two lands. Game 3 went my way, too, thanks to all the removal I'd grabbed.
2-1

Round2
I got paired up with Steve this time, the owner of Lich's Lair Games, where we usually play on Sundays. Steve's an overly technical player, which I believe worked to my advantage. My land cycling and mana fixing proved to be a great plan, as I continued to drop Minotaurs and my big greenies. I hit domain both games and started blasting with Exploding Borders and Dragonsoul Knight, and it was all over. At one point, I had to ditch my Kaleidostone to scrounge up a blue for Quenchable Fire, and had just enough to play my Sylvan Bounty, gaining eight instead of losing three.
2-0

Round3
Last match was against CJ, as we were the only two undefeated at this point. We drew the game to tie first, and eached grabbed one of the Noble Heirarchs. I'm pretty sure I could've slaughtered him, and if I didn't already have like 6 Banefires I might've given it a go.
Draw.

Overall: 2-0-1, and the loot was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment